When it comes to the shiniest and toughest mineral on earth, our diamond interests are represented by our 85% shareholding in De Beers, the world’s leading diamond company. Together with its joint ventures, De Beers produces around 35% of the world’s rough diamonds by value, and employs 21,910 people worldwide.
De Beers operates right across the diamond value chain, including exploration, production, the selling of rough diamonds, the marketing of polished diamonds, and retail sales through De Beers Diamond Jewellers.
You can find De Beers’ mines in four countries, namely Botswana, Canada, Namibia and South Africa. Here in South Africa, De Beers has a 74% interest in De Beers Consolidated Mines (DBCM), with the remaining 26% held by Ponahalo Holdings, a black economic empowerment consortium.
DBCM’s operations include Venetia, which produces around 70% of De Beers’ South African diamond production and Voorspoed, a source of large and exotic coloured diamonds.